Our Home Maintenance and Security (HMS) Program provides up to $1,000 to South End homeowners for maintenance. Preference is given to the elderly and disabled. We are currently operating our 44th HMS grant and are accepting applications.
Homeowners are eligible if their household income is 80% or under the annual median income (AMI) for the Albany-Schenectady-Troy Metropolitan Area.
*As of April 1, 2018. These income guidelines change annually
|Household Size||Income Limit|
Maintenance activities include protective measures, cleaning activities, and limited appliance replacement:
- Repairs to gutter or floors
- Repairs to cracked plaster
- Repairs to broken windows, door locks
- Repairs of roof or plumbing leaks
- Caulking, weather stripping, re-glazing
- Reapplication of protective coatings
- Installation of protective plywood, alarm systems, or temporary fencing
- Repainting previously painted surface (including limited scraping)*
- Waterproofing (sealant)
- Servicing and maintenance of mechanical systems
*Non-destructive methods only (ex: no sandblasting or high pressure spraying)
- Unclogging of sink and/or toilet
Replacement of appliances that are not attached to the building, where removal would not cause any damage. Limited to $500 and only essential appliances:
- Washing Machine
Please contact our office to find out if your home would be appropriate to receive an HMS grant, and we will help you apply.